County Cavan Golf Club was founded in October 1894. Mr. Thomas Lough, afterwards to be M. P. for West Islington, and Under Secretary for Education in the Campbell Bannerman ministry, had laid out a nine-hole course at his Cavan residence at Killynebber, a ten minute walk from the town. At first, it was used only by the Lough family and their political visitors from across the channel, as not for a year or two could any of the local residents be induced to interest themselves in the game. Eventually however, a sufficient number, probably not more than twenty, came together and formed the nucleus of a modest club. By 1896 it had 28 members and A. S. Lough was its President. The course of nine-holes varied in length from 122 to 226 yards. Play was restricted to between the months of October and April. The Club became affiliated to the Golfing Union of Ireland in 1899.
The club moved to its present location at Drumelis in 1920. The first competition was played on the new 9 hole course on Saturday 13th November 1920. During the war years from 1939 the Club experienced hard times. In 1939 the Club President was Dr. F.P. Smith and his son Darragh was the Captain. A father and son Presidency/Captaincy was again repeated in 1949 when John F. O’Hanlon and E.T. O’Hanlon occupied the offices. A Spirit Licence was sought in 1945. The clubhouse consisted of a galvanised pavilion type building containing gents and ladies lockers, a function room with kitchen and the recently completed bar extension.
On Good Friday 27th March 1970 a Club Sub Committee met with Lord Farnham to discuss the possibility of purchasing Arnmore House and lands which adjoined the existing 9 hole course. Terms were agreed and the new Clubhouse at Arnmore House was officially opened on Sunday 20th August 1972 by Thomas Montgomery, President of the Golfing Union of Ireland. Attention then turned to the development of the new 9 holes.
1972 also saw the retirement of Philip Lawlor, Professional at County Cavan Golf Club for 57 years from 1915 to 1920 in Killynebber and from 1920 to 1972 in Drumelis.
The first competition was played on the new 18 hole course on Easter Sunday 6th April 1975. An official Club sweater was launched in 1982 and proved to be a popular item. In 1986 the first Pro-Am was held at the club and proved to be a successful venture.
Additional adjoining land was purchased from Andrew Mc Carren in 1992 which facilitated the inclusion of a practise area.
The current Club Crest was designed for the 100th Anniversary of the Club in 1994 by Philip Cullivan and was used for the first time on the formal invitations to the 100th Anniversary dinner. It has continued in use since then.
The current layout is an 18-hole Par 70 parkland course which was significantly enhanced in 2004 by the addition of a newly designed back nine with tees and greens to USGA standards under the guidance of architect Arthur Spring and European Golf Services.